Terms of reference
To advise the Prime Minister on the strategic policies and framework for:
- sustaining and developing science, engineering, technology and mathematics (STEM) in the UK, and promoting international co-operation in STEM;
- fostering the practice and perception of STEM as an integral part of the culture of the UK;
- promoting excellence in STEM education;
- making more effective use of research and scientific advice in the development and delivery of policy and public services across Government;
- promoting STEM-based innovation in business and the public services to promote the sustainable development of the UK economy, the health and quality of life of UK citizens, and global sustainable development.
The Council will work on cross-cutting issues of strategic importance, taking a medium to long term approach. In developing its advice it will take into account the cultural, economic, environmental, ethical and social context of developments in STEM.