Conditions & NMO information charter
Conditions of use
Information. Specific advice on issues relating to weights and measures law should be sought from a suitably qualified professional. The opinions and advice placed on this site by NMO are based on the best information available at that time. However, as with any legal issue, only the courts can interpret legislation with ultimate authority. Links to other sites from these pages are for information only and we accept no responsibility for any material contained within those sites.
Viruses. Whilst NMO makes all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses from the website, it cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for viruses. Thus, you are recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before downloading information from this website.
Law Governing this Website and this Disclaimer. This disclaimer and any claim based on use of information from this website shall be governed by the laws of England and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
National Measurement Office - Information charter
Your privacy is important to us.
We may need to handle both personal information about you and commercial information about your organisation so that we can provide services for you.
This charter is intended to give you confidence in the security of that information by explaining what we do with it.
If we ask you for personal information, we promise:
- to tell you why we need it;
- to only ask for what we need;
- to look after it and make sure it's only accessible to those with a genuine need to see it;
- to let you know where information is shared between organisations to give you better services - and to give you the opportunity to say no to this where we can;
- to make sure we don't keep it longer than necessary; and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information; and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime, to produce anonymised statistics, or where we are required to do so by a relevant authority;
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information;
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date; and
- how to make a complaint about how we hold or use your information.
from the Agency Records Officer
National Measurement Office (NMO), together with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and partner organisations, has signed up to these shared principles for handling your information. In addition to these shared principles, NMO would advise:
NMO collects commercial information in the course of its normal activities. This is held in a secure Records management system and would not be disclosed to a third party without the original owner's prior consent.
We may use your contact information for direct marketing of NMO services. We will not disclose your personal data to any third party (except where we provide lists of delegate names in conference delegate packs for networking purposes - you can ask us not to do this) unless you have consented to such disclosure or we are required to do so by a relevant authority.
How you can opt out
You can opt out of receiving any further direct mail from NMO by ticking the opt-out box displayed on our message to you or by contacting the Agency Records Officer at NMO.
For more information, contact our Agency Records Officer,
E-mail Agency Records Officer
When we ask you for information, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Phone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45 Fax: 01625 524510 Website: http://www.ico.gov.uk/