UK Space Agency
A space-based observatory to search for planets orbiting alien stars has been selected as ESA’s third medium-class science mission.
Satellite images taken by the UK’s disaster monitoring satellite, UK-DMC2, are assisting UK agencies in their response to the severe flooding caused by recent storms.
Near the centre of Antarctica, measurements from CryoSat show an unusual pattern in the ice sheet’s elevation.
Scientists have now found the reason for this pattern – and the discovery is leading to even more accurate measurements from Europe’s ice mission.
Members of the UK Cubesat community have established a forum to provide an independent, community led discussion and networking platform for UK nanosatellite or Cubesat stakeholders.
Individuals with an interest in Cubesat activities are invited to join.
Government welcomes recommendations of Select Committee report on work of UK and European Space Agencies
The UK Parliament’s Science and Technology Select Committee has this week (6 February 2014) published the Government’s response to its report on the work of the European and UK Space Agencies.
The response welcomes all of the recommendations made in the report.
The in-orbit validation of Galileo has been achieved.
Europe now has the operational nucleus of its own satellite navigation constellation in place – the world’s first civil-owned and operated satnav system.
The UK Space Agency is at the heart of UK efforts to explore and benefit from space. The UK's thriving space sector contributes £9.1 billion a year to the UK economy and directly employs 28.900 with an average growth rate of almost 7.5%. The Agency provides funding for a range of programmes via programmes such as the National Space Technology Programme and FP7 and works closely with national and international academic, education and community partners.
Outer Space Act Licensing
The OSA 1986 is the legal basis for the regulation of activities in outer space carried out by organisations or individuals established in the UK or one of its Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies. Download the government response (PDF, 181 Kb) to the consultation.
We are committed to providing the public with information on the performance and productivity of the organisation.
RSS Feed News
- UK industry awarded share of contract to develop Europe’s next generation telecommunications satellite platform
- Surveying storm damage from space: UK satellite provides images of Somerset floods
- Gaia comes into focus
- Europe’s ‘sleeping beauty’ wakes up from deep space hibernation
- UK centre stone-laying launches European space celebrations
UK Space Agency on Twitter
@spacegovuk (75,133 followers)
- Back with a bang! http://t.co/7fytIEsn8v The Big Bang Fair at Birmingham NEC from 13-16 March 2014
- @StupidStuffBlog it was taken seriously! Our Chief Engineer is drawing up specs for a flux capacitor ;-)@dangoldswain@BrunoFPileggi
4 Mar 2014
- RT@JimSlaughter29: Spending the day at the UK Space Agency. It's exciting times and the team is coming nicely.
4 Mar 2014